Since it was in our backyard- how you could not expect us to give you the low-down on Coachella. Welcome guest writer Cat Dubois who spent the weekend in the desert.
Music fans from all over the world flocked to the desert for the most well-known festival on the west coast, Coachella. Despite the 90+ degree weather and the sandstorm that swept through the third day, Coachella 2013 did not disappoint.
I felt like a teenage girl again watching The Postal Service reunite at Coachella to celebrate the 10 anniversary of their album, “Give Up.” I was happy to see Jenny Lewis perform with them too! They played all of their classics including “Nothing Better,” “Such Great Heights” and “Sleeping In.” I was a little bummed they didn’t perform their cover “Against All Odds,” which happens to be my favorite, but they sounded fantastic.
R. Kelly. What was that about?! We were anticipating Daft Punk to make a guest appearance with Phoenix, but instead R. Kelly surprised us when he performed with Phoenix singing an interesting rendition of “Ignition.” There were several indications Daft Punk was going to show– what would you think if saw trailer clips promoting their new album! The crowd looked pretty confused for a while, but eventually everyone started singing along since it was “the freakin’ weekend,” and we were at Coachella after all.
- The XX + Solange (Beyonce’s sister) + an Aaliyah cover = perfection!
- Jurassic 5 hadn’t performed together in seven years, yet they didn’t miss a beat.
- I was disappointed I missed John Legend’s guest appearance during Benny Benassi’s set.
- Discovering new artists is big reason why I love attending music festivals. A few honorable mentions of those who put on a great show: Ladies Night, Alt-J and Robert DeLong.
- Dancing in the upgraded Sahara tent was a ton of fun this year. We learned Coachella borrowed the structure from Miami’s Ultra Music Festival.
- The art installations get more and more impressive each year. The giant snail that moved ever so slowly and the Tyrannosaurus Rex made of recycled materials were well-done and deserve a mention.
Awesome music, great friends, new friends and good vibes made for a memorable Coachella weekend. In case you’re wondering, pre-sale tickets for Coachella 2014 should be available next month. Don’t miss it, make sure you secure your tickets early! See you in the desert.